Did you know that each October, a week is set aside to talk about fire prevention? When you wake up to smoke and flames, this is one of the worst things that can happen to you and those who live with you. Make sure you keep your home safe when it comes to fires and what you can do to help prevent them. Here are a few things to look at:
- Make sure to test your smoke alarms to make sure they work. Or if they start to chirp, make sure to change the batteries.
- Make sure you have a fire escape plan.
- Have a fire extinguisher in an easy to access place.
- Never leave food cooking unattended, make sure to always be cautious and vigilant when cooking.
- Don’t smoke in your house and try to avoid using portable space heaters if possible.
- What happens if there is a fire? GET OUT, STAY OUT, and CALL FOR HELP!
Looking for more fire safety tips and prevention, check with your local fire department.